CrispAds Blog Ads

Friday, March 11, 2005

 

Social Security

Back on track now, let me give you an idea I had. We're given a promise that when we retire, our money will be given back to us, in installments. That sounds all well and good, right? Good. But it can't work that way. The world doesn't work that way, and for all intents and purposes, the government operates in the real world (no, we can't send it back). There was a lot of mention of a "lock box" in the 2000 presidential election. It's not that bad an idea, but we don't have one right now. Our Social Security Number only defines us as a citizen, not by how much money we've put into a program.

Not that it would be too hard. What would it take to reform social security? Now, if you've read any of my other posts, you know what I feel about this program. Recognize that we're arguing politics, when we should be arguing how to reform the system. We've been set up. Arguing the politics of the situation is called divide and conquer people, and it's exactly what the political parties want us to do. But back on track, what's the harm in making the program at least a little bit secure? There's a school of thought (one I subscribe to) that says the money I put in is mine, and you'd better have a damn good reason to get a piece of it. I recognize that some people, under specific circumstances, lose money as they get older. It's call hospital bills, theft, and any number of assorted hardships present in the world. I have no problem helping you out if you've been wronged or gotten sick. That's really no big deal to me, because it'll only mean a few pennies off the top because it'll be evenly distributed.

But I need more than a promise, especially when it comes to 12% of my income. You know what I trust, much more than the governments oral promise? Something in writing. Something like a savings bond. The government puts that money taken out every paycheck and puts it into a sort of savings bond, but it has to be in the benefactors name. It collects the standard interest as far as savings bonds go, and you are given that amount when you retire. As a savings bond, cut the interest after 30 years, I don't mind, I just want to have confidence in the system once again.

Guy and girls, I know you're reading this. And I ask, could you email me? My address is in the sidebar. Give me your ideas, I want to hear them. Any that I do get, I promise to pass along to all congressmen. Lets further this debate, but lets take the politics out of it. I'll do my best to respond to any ideas, we can work together. I understand that everyone has their biases, left, right, or whatever. I don't mind personal bias, but giving me rhetoric just gets you deleted. And for those of you who missed it, the address is andrewhughes.1@gmail.com
|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?